We all want that vintage vibe in our wardrobe. That essence of an era gone by. And we want to cherry pick the sleekest, sexiest, and most stylish looks from it. In recent years we've worn the best of the 20s and 30s, seen the rebirth and fading of an 80s come back, and we're just about to do it all again. But this time, its the 1970s that are due for a reinterpretation.
While '70s fashion is making waves and sure to continue on as a fashion trend in 2011, let's not forget that there are several variants. And you know what that means; all the more ways to get lots of wear out of your key seventies pieces, by taking them from '70s boho to a more sophisticated '70s look.
'70s styling at Elie Tahari A/W 2010
Achieve The Look!
'70s sophistication by day
By day it's all about clean yet voluminous silhouettes, and earthy '70s colour palettes. Look for:
- High waisted wide-leg pants or flares, smartly belted in.
- Neat bow-blouses, especially ones with billowing or bishop sleeves. Particularly great are fabrics like silk and satin.
- Roll neck sweaters tucked into pants or skirts. Add to the '70s effect by layering over beaded necklaces or a vest.
- For those more daring, a pair of hot pants are the ultimate '70s item.
- A smart printed jumpsuit is another great alternative.
Daytime '70s styling at Chloe A/W 2010
'70s sophistication by night
By night the '70s sophisticate turns into the ultimate socialite, with look-at-me shimmering fabrics and cuts that either tightly hug or sensually drape over the body.
- Choose high sheen fabrics with a '70s disco-inspired edge, like lurex or silk; anything with a metallic thread.
- Add a ruffled neckline under a brocade blazer or tuxedo jacket, paired with a sharp pair of pants.
- Long, slinky gowns with draping, low necklines or dress slits are the ultimate in '70s night time glamour.
'70s evening glamour at Ferragamo A/W 2010
Accessorising a sophisticated '70s look
Accessories are key when it comes to creating a '70s look. Some things to keep in mind:
- The right handbag completes a look. Try for smart, high quality bags like a leather satchel for day, and a small bag with a long strap for night.
- Big, statement leather belts slung over mini skirts or maxi dresses add impact and fair to a seventies-inspired outfit.
- A pair of on-trend thigh high boots are probably already be in your wardrobe by now - pair them with hot pants or a skirt for a decidedly sexed-up yet sophisticated '70s look.
- Wear lots of jewellery - but keep it a little cleaner than for a boho look. Try lots of rings with bold stones, neat piles of bangles, and long pendant necklaces and strings of beads.
- Look to complimentary hairstyles like a sleek longer bob, masses of bouncy curls, or long, flowing hair.